Monday, October 20, 2008

Pigeons are spying on us... all of us

A lot of people these days, particularly with the technological advances that make snooping easier, are worried about Big Brother. In the last 2 weeks, I have heard talk about police-free ticketing where tickets would be issued right in your car (think Demolition Man) and talk about whether or not Google would spell the end of privacy. Heck, even my own company creates hardware that can be used to snoop data, voice, or video traffic sent across network.

So with all of this technology, what should we be most concerned with? Is it our phone lines? Is it the government reading our emails? Is it cameras watching us? Is it satellites tracking us?

No, it is none of that. Big Brother will surely descend upon us, but He will be spying on us in the form of... wait for it... a little longer... PIGEONS!

Check out this story I found today, entitled "Iran busts 'spy pigeons' near nuclear site".

Apparently, we have armed pigeons with invisible strings and metal rings. If we can catch and release pigeons, what else could we exploit to meet our voyeuristic needs?

I really cannot even fathom what else might be lurking, watching me, judging me, tracking my every move. All I can say is that the next time I see a dog taking a leak on a fire hydrant, I am going to be paying extra careful attention to exactly how he lifts that leg.

No comments: